Sunday 16 March 2008

Tiring Times

Well the show is finally over. It was great fun but truly exhausting and although I miss the people already I'll need to recover before I start missing the rehearsals! On the Tuesday night after the show we had an after party in Grappa's bar, which is in the bottom of Jardine House in Central and I had so much fun chatting to people that I didn't want to leave. Hopefully I'll meet up with some of them again in the next few months.



Some of the girls from Anything Goes... and a sailor!


I've been busy at school as usual as Rich is still off with his broken jaw. I got my English Ambassador team to make egg shaped clues to post around the school for an Egg Hunt on Wednesday and watched Freaky Friday (a Disney film) at lunchtimes with some of the 2nd year girls.


Hong Kong has had 3 school children die from flu related illnesses recently, so they've stepped up precautions and lots of schools are going on holiday early. My school hasn't closed yet (we're due to finish on Thursday anyway) but the morning reading period is now dedicated to taking every students' temperature and around half of my students are sporting delightful blue face masks to protect them from everyone else's germs. It may seem a bit crazy and over the top but Hong Kong suffered hugely with SARS and in a city where everyone lives so densely packed together it's better to be safe than sorry.


On Saturday night Scott decided to have an early birthday dinner, as everyone is jetting off on their Easter holidays before his actual birthday next weekend. We went to a Chinese restaurant on the top floor of the North Point Wet Market on Java Road. The food was standard Chinese restaurant stuff but I haven't been for a big group meal in ages and it was fun to share lots of dishes and drink Tsing Tao out of bowls! It was really nice to see some Chatteris people that I hadn't caught up with in a while (due mainly to show rehearsals) and I've even got some of them on video thanks to Ken's imagination and the spinny lazy susan on our table!




Bowls of beer

Hopefully, this shows people at Scott's birthday meal!

Only a few days of school left before the Easter break, when I'm taking a whirlwind trip back to Britain to go to a PGCE interview. Feeling a bit guilty about my giant carbon footprint but looking forward to real milk and bread and cheese.

On the other hand, I've recently become really pleased with the amount of fresh fruit and vegetables you get in Hong Kong. The other week I bought 4 passionfruits, 3 mangos and a green coconut (with a straw in it to drink the milk!) for less than a fiver. It's fabulous! And this evening I went out to the market and bought 5 tomatoes, still on their vine, for less than a pound. Shopping in Tesco's just wont be the same.

1 comment:

Cate said...

Broken jaw?! Was it you? Clearly you picked up some tricks from moi and I'm so proud!! (although officially horrified, obviously)