Friday 7 March 2008

In the news...

The musical that I'm in was reviewed in the South China Morning Post. If you look closely at the picture you can see me in the middle of the stage, although not in the front row!




--------------------------------------------------------------




CitySeen: Nine years on and just as strong, HK Singers are back in fine voice

Andrew Sun

Updated on Mar 07, 2008






They first did it nine years ago. Now, top community theatrical group the Hong Kong Singers are producing Cole Porter's depression-era romp Anything Goes once again. The musical opened last night at the City Hall theatre (and continues until Tuesday) with several cast members returning to roles they first performed in 1999, including one of the lead actresses, Shareen Hellen.



New director Tony Penny was a fan of the first production. "I wasn't involved, but I remember seeing it," Penny said. "It was excellent and I hope this one is even better. [Shareen] is a wonderful singer and she's recreating the same role. Now, she's even stronger and better than before."



For any theatrical director, working on a show that has been remounted and produced many times over can be daunting. However, Penny - a Hong Kong Singers veteran who has directed everything from Agatha Christie murder mysteries to My Fair Lady - suggests it's not all about the director. "I was asked before how, as a director, I put my stamp on things that have been done before, and I say it's essentially the cast that puts its stamp on it. Even if people have done the show before, they are still coming into a new production. Everyone works differently with different people. For this show, we're trying to make it more light, more fun."



For tickets to the show, contact Urbtix on 2734 9009.

Additional reporting by Clara Mak

Send tips, tickets and invitations to andrew.sun@scmp.com

No comments: