Monday 23 June 2008

Home

So... I'm home, and have been for 3 weeks now, but I felt like this blog needed some kind of ending to tidy it up. I like things to be tidy and organised. I'm hoping that'll be an asset in my new life as a teacher in training but worry that it might be more of a problem when the paperwork and lesson plans and essays get on top of me and end up in a big mess.

I got rid of my bed, approximately 10 minutes before the landlord was meant to come round and check the flat and take my keys. The lady who was meant to collect it last time I wrote cancelled on me. Another man came round and looked at the bed and wardrobe then decided they weren't what he was after. The lady who did eventually take away the bed cancelled because it was raining and then had issues rearranging another collection time, but when she arrived she brought a man with her who had the whole thing dismantled in about 5 minutes (with the help of his power tools!) and carried it all away so I didn't have to assist. Which was great!

The last week in school was quite surreal, like I kept noting the date and that in 'X days and X hours' I'd be back in the UK, but the rest of my brain wasn't registering it. On our last Wednesday we were told we had to come to the lunchtime meaningful task. The whole school was there to say goodbye to us - each form class had prepared a song, a poem, a drama or a speech to say thanks. It was really lovely, although Rich and I were sat right at the front of the hall in full view of EVERYONE so I was determined not to get too emotional! Lots of the classes gave us cards or little gifts - one gave me a bag of home made cookies! Perhaps the strangest thing was going back in to school after all that on Thursday and continuing to have lessons. It seemed like a bit of an anticlimax to quietly slip out the school gate at the end of of my last actual day.

Hong Kong was a great experience. When people ask me what it's like, I never know how to reply. It's a city of contrasts ; the skyscrapers against the rugged hillsides, the smooth designer stores against the bustle of Mong Kok street markets, the huge container ships against the idyllic sandy beaches. I like to think I've captured some of that here. It's a crazy place to live but that doesn't mean it's not enjoyable. If you have the money you can experience the best of it all, but you'll have to work hard for it, and I don't think I'm cut out for such a work hard, spend hard lifestyle.

I'm going to finish this with a goodbye message from one of my students...

Ms Owens

Work hard, when you go back your county, if i see you again can you speak in cantonese?

Your student

Jay


No comments: