Saturday 24 May 2008

Waiting

I'm waiting on a Philipina lady called Julie to come and take away my bed. I've decided I should lie on it until the last possible minute because I'll really miss it when it's gone. Haven't entirely decided where I'm going to sleep next week. Tonight I'm testing out how comfortable my floor is when I pile all my spare bedding, blankets and sarongs on it, on Tuesday I'm staying at Nicole's flat in Tin Shui Wai, and there's always the option of booking into a hostel for a few nights. Thing is, despite moving half way across the world for 9 months, I'm quite a homely person really and the thought of packing up all my stuff and adjusting to living in a different building for a few nights (without my kettle!) doesn't really appeal.
Last Sunday, the company I work for organised an Olympic Fun Day on Cheung Sha Beach on Lantau, which is apparently the longest beach in Hong Kong. The weather was cloudy when we set out in the morning, but by the time we'd taken the ferry to Mui Wo and the bus to the middle of nowhere, things had heated up. Cheung Sha has an Upper Beach and a Lower Beach and as luck would have it, we got off the bus at the wrong one and had to walk almost the full length of the longest beach in Hong Kong in the glaring midday sun with our bare feet burning on the sand. Needless to say this didn't exactly put us in the mood for running relay races with chopsticks and peanuts or creating rivalry between the two teams.
Crazy Relay Races on the longest beach in HK

Emma, Amy and Sarah show off their Kowloon Gold Medals



However, people did get more enthusiastic as the day wore on. I took part in the Tug of War (!) and the boys officially acknowledge that the girls played a much better game of football than them, and at the end of the day, my team (those who live in Kowloon) won! We then had a BBQ as the dusk (and sadly also the mosquitoes) descended and got to see a whole heard of Lantau's famous wild cattle whilst waiting on a bus to take us home.


BBQ at dusk


This week at school I've been getting my S2 classes to make a yearbook. In each class, I assign 2 people to be 'photographers' and try to get a mugshot of everyone. My students are not very fond of being photographed, as you can see from these efforts!




Nicole and Joyce

Roy and Michael and Isaac
Yesterday I took another trip to Clearwater Bay beach for what may be my last swim in the South China Sea. It was lovely to be swimming at 5pm, but the beach was a lot busier than the last time I'd visited. In the evening I went to the Lan Kwai Fong Beer Festival. Lots of people, lots of sweating and yard glasses of beer. A typical Saturday night in Lan Kwai Fong really!

No comments: