Saturday 19 April 2008

Things to do in a Level 3 Typhoon

It's a Level 3 typhoon warning in HK today, which means lots of rain (the kind that soaks you by rebounding off the ground whilst you hide under your umbrella) and gusty winds, so I'm staying inside for a little while and thought I might post a few photos.



Reflections on Nathan Road







Bamboo Scaffolding! They're doing repair work to my building



How to Behave in a Hong Kong Park


I've started working Saturdays, which is rather tiring! I'm teaching a 6 week 'Phonological Awareness' course on Saturday mornings in Causeway Bay. The girls I teach are lovely and the lessons involve lots of silly songs which is fun, but it's still an effort to get out of bed on a Saturday morning. To add to that, next Saturday is my school's Official Opening Ceremony so today and last Saturday I had to go straight from Causeway Bay to Tin Shui Wai to help with the choral speaking team practice. I can't really complain though as the local teacher who I was helping had been in all morning doing drama club rehearsals and is taking a group of drama club students to a perfomance tonight which finishes at about midnight! People out here work an incredible amount. I don't think I could keep up if I had an ordinary Hong Kong job.

Last week's excitement was that Oasis Hong Kong airlines went into liquidation, meaning that I (along with lots of the other people I work with) had to rebook my flight home. It's quite disappointing as Oasis were great - their flights were constantly reasonably priced and although they were 'budget' you still got meals and drinks and a blanket and pillow on your flight. Apparently they were losing money on practically all their flights so I can't understand why they didn't make some changes earlier to try and recoup their losses. There are various forms to fill in to try to reclaim the money I spent booking the ticket but I'm pretty exhausted at the minute so putting all the phonecalls off till next week.


Tom that Rachel and I met at the Great Wall in China is passing through Hong Kong this weekend, so we've been showing him around in the evenings. Last night we went for dinner at a stall in Temple Street Market. It's in all the guidebooks as an authentic Hong Kong experience to have, so I found it quite amusing that all the tables around us were full of tourists!



A very civilised dinner at Temple St Market

No comments: