Monday 18 February 2008

Back to school... again

The holidays are over, Chris has returned to Britain and I bought a hot water bottle. It's been similar temperatures in Hong Kong to London for the past week or so!

The cold weather didn't stop my school having it's first ever sports day though. I was amazed by how the kids managed to spend all day hanging out in an open sports stadium without rebelling. I spent most of the day at the announcements desk where we got regular supplies of hot tea to warm our hands with. I ran 100m as part of a 10 person parent-teacher-student relay team in the afternoon, but sadly my team (1C!) didn't win.


The school flag on parade at the opening of Sports Day



Flags waving in the spectator stand


At the weekend I went for dim sum in Maritime Plaza mall in Tsing Yi with Olisa, Jennifer and Sat. Olisa got there half an hour before us and cunningly got a number for the restaurant queue which meant that we managed to get a table... an hour later! Whilst we were waiting we were entertained by a dragon dance that was going around the shopping mall eating clumps of celery-like vegetables from the restaurant doorways. I asked Olisa (who has Cantonese parents) what it was all about and she said it was traditional but she didn't know what it meant! It was a pretty good distraction from the long wait though.



Dragon Dance


Chicken feet... mmm...

After the food, we discovered a Disney Chinese New Year display in another part of the mall and payed a small donation, which was apparently going to local community charity, to go in and take photographs. I'm pretty sure that only in Hong Kong to you get giant pagodas inside shopping malls built with mickey-mouse shaped lotus blossom designs on their windows! It was great fun taking silly photos with all the characters, although I did feel slightly guilty when there were queues of 5 year old children waiting to take their turns!


The Disney pagoda


Me and Jennifer among the flowers


On Sunday the weather warmed up a bit and I went back to Hong Kong park to bask in the sun like the terrapins whilst I ate my lunch. Then I had rehearsals. The musical starts on March 6th so if I don't write for a few weeks... I'm too busy tapdancing!

No comments: