Monday 15 October 2007

Beds and booking flights

My bed has (finally) arrived from Ikea! It's made my bedroom seem a little smaller, but at least now I can store stuff underneath it, and it feels a bit more like a home than a rented room now.

In other exciting news... I've booked flights to Borneo for Christmas! I'm going to Kota Kinabalu with Rachel and we might try to climb a mountain if we can get a permit. It'll be the rainy season when we're their, so we might not spend too much time sunning ourselves on the beautiful tropical beaches, but there seems to be plenty in the area to keep us occupied.

Other than that, I haven't been up to much since my last blog. At the weekend it was the Lan Kwai Fong carnival, which made the hectic expat area that is Lan Kwai fong even MORE busy than usual. It was nice to see such a mix of cultures there though, and especially nice to hear European voices that weren't British, for a change. The streets were all decorated with hanging, winged mannequins wearing sequinned, burlesque lingerie and street stalls with luridly coloured feather boas.
Getting into the carnival spirit

On Sunday afternoon I went out exploring to Kowloon Walled City Park. It's an area in the East of Kowloon that used to be a walled city, turned into a lawless ghetto and was eventually bulldozed to the ground and turned into a landscaped park. The park is all carefully designed (apparently in the Qing style) and is very relaxing and easy on the eye. You can almost feel the flow of the plants and pagodas improving your chi. I say almost, because, having appreciated the beauty of the part and explored all of its 8 different areas, I decided to sit in a secluded spot and read a book for ten minutes, and promptly got attacked by biting insects. The 12 bites on one leg (there are more on the other one) managed to shatter my tranquil state and sent me running back to my room in Mongkok with the aircon on full blast.
The Bonsai Garden

Peaceful Pagodas and Pools

No comments: