Friday 21 September 2007

Home comforts

I'm writing this from the comfort of my own flat - I spent much of last Saturday out laptop shopping and then on Wednesday we got internet installed in out flat. Hong Kong is pretty good at technology - my laptop (after a great amount of trailing round Hong Kong) came from a 3 storey computer centre just 5 minutes walk away from our flat, and we arranged out internet at a stall on a street running paralled to ours. We spoke to a man at about 5pm, and by 9 o'clock they'd come round and we were online!

It's a good thing really because things at school have been getting more hectic and I haven't had time to spare for faffing around on the internet. Lessons are going alright, although it's amazing the different reactions you get when you teach the same class to 5 different sets of students. Rich and I had to do a lunchtime Meaningful Task on Thursday, which was a little like an assembly. We had the whole school (only actually about 200 kids) in the hall and played Who Wants to be a Millionaire with them using the powerpoint and the giant screen they have. It was a little bit like being back at PGL as we tried to keep them all involved by getting them to cheer for their teams and shout out the answers. I got to have a microphone!


I haven't been doing too much exploring this recently. Last Saturday was spent laptop shopping, and then on Sunday a group of us went for dim sum and I went a wander round the Flower Market which is quite near my flat. The Flower Market is a bit like an extended version of a garden centre. It's a long road of individual flower and houseplant shops, with stalls out in front so that you walk along a narrow path of pavement between the plants. They have not so exotic flowers like roses all carefully wrapped up and then amazing looking lillies and things which are just left out in the open air. I plan to go back and invest in a wee plant for the flat at some point.


I got a bit more adventurous with my market shopping this week and bought one of the amazing pink dragonfruits. They look a LOT more exciting than they taste.

Pink dragonfruit

Inside the dragonfruit

No comments: