Friday 17 August 2007

Just a few days in

So... day 5 in Hong Kong (I think... I'm still a little confused as to what day and time it is!) and I've just had my first taste of busy Hong Kong markets and shopping malls.

We spent the first few days out of town near Ma On Shan at a YWCA summer camp site. I went swimming in the outdoor pool in the dark, which feels pretty bizarre, and we visited Sai Kun which is a little town on the coast known for it's fish restaurants. We walked along the front and each restaurant looks a little like an aquarium with massive tanks outside full of fish, lobsters, sea anemones, crabs and weird slug like creatures. I took a photo of one so hopefully I can load that up sometime in the future. There wasn't much to do on that day trip except wander around town, as it was raining (it's been doing that a LOT so far) so we had a little wander. We somehow got ourselves into some narrow backstreets (just wide enough for an umbrella) that seemed to wind in all directions. At the end of one we came across a little tiled shrine with incense sticks burning on it, whilst half way down another I saw a shop selling apple computers! I suspect that's the way Hong Kong's going to be - lots of traditions and religious stuff co-existing with new technology.


Sea food!


We moved into a more central location yesterday, a youth hostel near Mong Kok in Kowloon, which is going to be our home for till the end of the month. It's nice to wander round the streets and see them full of lighted adverts and signposts that look just like the pictures in the guidebooks. We've also had our first experiences of the MTR (the underground network) which seems amazingly clean and efficient. All the stations are cool and air-conditioned and have shiny tiled floors and the platforms have glass panels that separate you from the train tracks and sliding doors that open exactly in the same location as those on the train. The trains themselves seem really long and bizarrely have no doors to separate the carriages. I haven't been brave enough to take a photo on one yet but I'm sure I'll get round to it.

On the MTR


More news next week when I'll have been out searching for a flat!

1 comment:

amoledigginginahole said...

The Jubilee extension in London also has the exciting glass doors between you and the train tracks. You'd have thought it would have been a pretty standard thing to stop stupid commuters getting squished :o)